VIRTUAL Sunrise Easter Service
Coronavirus will NOT stop us from celebrating Easter. Lake Cane's 10th annual sunrise Easter service will take place virtually on the Lucky's Lake Swim Facebook Group Live Feed at 7:03am, with Reverend Tom Welch sharing the message of the Risen Christ at daybreak Sunday morning. We will gather in the Spirit - and through technology! That’s the Pray part.
Now for the Swim part! Um…here is the thing. Lucky’s Lake Swim remains closed to prevent the coronavirus from spreading. Each year for Easter, we pass the hat for a local charity. Last year and this year, we chose Edgewood Children’s Ranch. Knowing what a bummer it is to miss Lucky’s swim, we ask that everyone consider a donation to the Edgewood Children’s Ranch to show your appreciation for folks on Easter who really need some help. Edgewood Children’s Ranch has helped Orlando-area families and children since 1966 with no government funding, a belief that a relationship with Christ is a key to healing families.
All Donations Benefit Edgewood Children's Ranch
Outstanding Pancake Makers Contest
Now for the Eat part – the Lake Cane community knows of Geno’s fame as a pancake maker and flipper. It turns out – his recipe for pancakes all these years is “open the box, add water and stir”. Let’s come up with some pancake ideas we can all make at home. We’ll compete by sharing recipes with everyone so we can all eat the pancakes of our dreams on Easter morning.
The contest includes three categories for recipes – in each category, a winner will be recognized as “an outstanding pancake maker” by food journalist Marta Madigan! As it is Geno’s tradition to cook in an apron, we will have three aprons made as prizes for the winners – each apron with the 10 Year EPS logo. IF you win, IF you are one of the three “outstanding pancake makers” chosen, then we will ship you an EPS apron of your very own!.
Here are the contest rules:
- Submit your pancake recipe below by April 9 – please include a picture(s) of you and your pancakes!
- Three of the contestants submitting recipes will receive recognition as “outstanding” – and an apron! here are the there categories:
- (a) Heirloom recipe – can be American or ethnic or whatever Granny taught you to make!
- (b) Healthy recipe – using whole wheat, gluten-free, vegan, whatever you think is healthy – Colorado entries cannot cross state lines!
- (c) Hilarious recipe – be creative, extravagant, and funny!
- Once you winners receive your aprons, please submit a picture of you in your apron (in speedos and apron or bikini and apron optional)
Upload your image(s) using the uploader beneath the "I'm not a robot" checkbox.
**Please note your recipe will be displayed within 1 - 2 business days after review by the web administrator.
Pancake Contest Submissions
By Meghan Hudak
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2/3 cup milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 large ripe bananas, mashed
2 tablespoons butter, melted
In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add milk and vanilla extract. The mixture will still be dry. Add in mashed bananas and butter; stir until batter is somewhat smooth.
Heat a skillet or grilled on medium heat. Using a 1/3 cup measure, spoon batter into rounds and cook until bubbles form on top – about 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook for a minute or two more.
By Geoff Solomon
Please note that the recipe, as written, triples the original recipe. Handwritten notes to the right quadruple the recipe, and with baby #8 due in June, computations are underway to quintuple the recipe. Recipe should it be entered under the healthy category, unless there’s a prolific category…
By Kathleen Fitzgerald
2 cups ricotta cheese
3/4 cup Bisquick
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
Blueberry topping (recipe follows)
Heat griddle to 400 degrees, lightly grease griddle with a combination of butter and vegetable oil.
Combine all ingredients, mix until flour is incorporated. Drop by spoonfuls onto prepared griddle. Turn pancake when edges are dry and golden brown. Turn only once.
1 can blueberries
1 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp corn starch
In medium saucepan combine ingredients. Cook over low to medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened. Spoon over pancakes.
This recipe was inspired by a similar recipe of a colleague, Beverly Pajer, who made pancakes for all of the teachers and staff at Hospital Homebound School for Christmas in 1998.
By Samantha Zaino
1. Make your pancake using your favorite recipe.
2. Gather some fun ingredients.
3. Assemble and wallah, you have the final product. Eat Pray Swim Sunday. Notice pastor Tom is the white bunny giving his sermon to all his chicks and bunnies. The pink bunny under the awning on the left is Geno with his apron. Beyond in the back is the dock, the lake with a few buoy’s and an extra friend.
Towel - $45 or $50
- 35" x 55" Beach Towel Size
Travel Bag - $40
Swim Cap - $20
Colors: White & Teal